3.07.2011

Sacrifice

     Since it is almost the season of Lent, I have been thinking a lot about sacrifice.  I had already mentioned that I just finished a book called Radical that deals with how we as Americans glorify consumerism and wealth and measure our success by them, when in all reality God measures it much differently.  The American Dream is alive and well.  We spend countless hours saving, investing, checking 401k's and retirement accounts to make sure that our future is SECURE.  God's plan for us was, and is quite the opposite.  You have only to look into the 4 books of the Gospel to see this.  Taking the Gospel at its word, we should be sacrificing (ooh theres that word) all that we have for those that need it and for those that don't have. It is stated very plainly in Matthew 19 16-28 if you want to check it out for yourself.   All of us can give more and it is certainly not easy, but giving more is not what God is asking us to do.  He is asking for us to go a step further, because to please him requires SACRIFICE.  I say all this tongue in cheek, as I have a lot to learn from the Gospels and am trying to grasp these concepts myself.  It is easy to give more, but to sacrifice and make it hurt is a whole different ballgame.  This applies to our time,ourselves, and not just to money.
    
     Sacrifice shows itself in a lot of other faces of my life as well and I often relate it to training.  I spent 2 years of my life dealing with a sickness that made me feel awful.  I decided I needed to utilize this concept of sacrifice and started triathlon training.  I think I said once before that I was spurred into triathlons by my sister.  She had done them for a couple years prior and that in itslef was a great inspiration.  I had run periodically in the past, but not for more than 3 miles or so at a time.  I mountain biked a bit in college just like the next guy, but I wold not have called myself a biker.  I started running again in April of 2009 and to be able to punish my body after it had punished me for so long felt good.  I picked up biking again in May 2009 and started swimming in July.  Swimming was a challenge.  I spent all winter swimming 3 times per week to get up to the point where I could swim a mile at a time nonstop.  Some people think I am crazy, but to me it feels good to sacrifice some of  myself when I am out on the road or in the pool.  I spend a lot of those hours reflecting on that Sacrifice and what it must have felt like for Jesus to give his life for us in the way that he did.  It gives me strength.  It will do the same for you if you let it.
    
     I am in another recovery week.  I had a short 5 miler on the treadmill last night and was able to get home from work in time to get my 8 miles in tonight, albeit in the dark.  I know running in the dark is unsafe (especially for women) but I love it.  I left my house at dusk and my the end of mile 2 I was wishing I had a toboggan.  I had my headlamp on and an LED blinker on my back.  I highly recommend it and when it turns hot out you will thank me. Just 2 more 5 milers and a 12 mile on Thursday or Friday to finish up week 15.  If you are into cycling Paris-Nice is on Versus this week.  I can't wait to get back on the bike next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment