3.31.2011

1650 Inspiration

     Was able to get over to the Aquatic Fitness Center the last 2 days and get some pool time in.  M had taken the kids there the other night while she swam and my son decided he was going to time himself on the mile.  I am fully aware that he is faster than me on a sprint basis.  This 38 year old body is not made for speed, but I have counted on the endurance that I have built to edge him out in the longer swims.  I swam the 1650 this morning and clocked a time of 33:45.  Slow by most standards, but I have only been swimming for about a year and a half.  Now the down side.  B has only been swimming since May of last year and he was able to swim a 23:05 in the 1650 the other night with his mom.  I guess the gig is up.  He makes it look so effortless.  
     On the biking front, I made the decision to switch over to clipless road pedals from the SPD mountain clipless ones I had been using for the past 2 years.  Many say they are easier on the feet during long rides and provide a better platform for power when pedaling.  I opted for the Forte CR150 pedals from Performance over the Shimano 540's due to cost.  The Forte stuff I have used so far has worked out great.



     Enough with the technical bike jargon.   The runs for the marathon training become shorter as does the time before the race.  I am trying to eat well and rest up as the race is next Saturday.  I view my body as His temple so I try to eat as clean as possible (not always easy or desirable).  Nevermind the fact that I have to be gluten free, taking this view on my eating has definitely made me healthier.  By clean I am referring to the chemicals in foods, preservatives, artificial sweeteners, and or overall benefit of the food.  Having said that, I have my downfalls. Watching the 2010 Kona Ironman, they document a guy by the name of Lew Hollander.  The most profound thing he said during the entire segment was if you want to be active and healthy at 80, you better make darn sure you pay attention to what you are doing at 40.  Lew does not eat anything he can't identify the parts to.  I think there is a lot to be said for this when you consider the plethora of processed foods we see in todays stores and pantries.  Just something to think about the next time you head for the fast food drive thru.  Oh yeah, Lew has finished the Kona Ironman every year for the past 20 years. He is 80 years of age.  One word, inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment