3.27.2011

C10M and other stuff


     The week went by fast.  Missed one of my short runs, but no biggie, recovery was more important.  Made it out on the bike on Wednesday with M for her long ride of the week (although I ditched her early to head back and work on the dog fence).  I fit in a swim on Thursday which felt great.  Sometimes the pool (and hot tub) are just what I need when training seems to beat me up.
     This week has felt especially long for some reason, even though I am technically tapering.  Some might ask,  when you have a week like this, "why do you continue to train when it makes you feel bad."  I mean its not like you are going to win or anything, or am I?  I am 38 years old and clearly not in as good of shape as most of the 20 somethings, or 40 or 50 somethings I race with for that matter, but my goal is simple.  I race and train so others will look at me living my life as a Christian and a follower of Jesus and say "man I want to feel like that".  "I want to have that energy."  "Maybe I should look into this Jesus guy and check him out".  That is the victory for me.  Somebody may read one of our shirts or visors while racing and decide in a very low point (and there are plenty of them) to reach out to God.  Someone who has never even considered this before.  God is there when you need him and oddly enough God shows the grace to be there even when we don't think we need him.
     So yesterday was the start of another race season for M and I.  It is the largest co-ed race in town (Womens 4 miler obviously is largest but I am excluded from that one).  The Charlottesville 10 miler supports around 2500 racers and a load of spectators.  


This is one of the funner medium distance races I have done.  People out all over the course to support, even though it was a balmy 40 degrees at the start (a stark contrast to the 80 degrees we saw last week).  M and I stayed together on this one and enjoyed the training run.  Ended up running a smooth pace and finished at 1:32:53 by my watch.  It was great fun and may have added a new member to our FCA Endurance group in the process.  Always a good thing.  Random pics from the week for fun.


Who would have ever thought those little black boxes we carry around would come in so handy




So close yet so far away

No comments:

Post a Comment