3.18.2011

Local Fame

     If you are a Charlottesville cyclist, you are probably familiar with the name Ben King, or at least you will be soon.  His name did not pop up on my radar til last year when I ran across this article.  Ben is a local guy out of North Garden (just south of Charlottesville) who many think could be the next Lance Armstrong.  However, you would never hear him say that.  This feat of winning the US Pro Road Title is quite remarkable in the cycling world.  If memory serves me right, he is just 21 years old and is the youngest rider to ever win this title beating the likes of Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, and Chris Horner.  All of these are names you routinely hear during the Tour de France every year.
     To switch gears a little, what is so remarkable about Ben King, along with his cycling skills, is the fact that he is a self proclaimed Christian.  At the age of 21, he has put his faith out there for everyone to see and hear.  He lives in a world of cameras, interviews, Lance Armstrongs and a Radio Shack sponsor, yet he is more than willing to give thanks to God and to talk about how blessed he is in front of all these people.  What makes it so easy for him, but so hard for others.  Take a listen to this interview with Ben after his race that is up on the FCA website, very impressive.  I only hope I can run into him on the road someday and thank him for his willingness to stand up for his faith in a world that makes it so hard.
     Only managed a couple pics today of what I run with on my long runs.




I always feel like I get a lot of weird looks when I am running around with bottles on each hand.  Most runners think that its too much extra weight.  Most non-runners think a couple things:

1.  You must be a little weird to need 2 bottles of water to go for a jog (yes, but not for regular jogs)
2.  You are crazy for running that far that you would need all that (yes, go on)

The fact is I am used to it and that is what I am comfortable with.  I have tried the waist belt and hate it and its easier to carry these and refill them along the way than to stash bottles all over the city before the run (yes people do this).  The last of my long long runs went OK.  I am officially in taper mode.  My legs were hurting before I started from the bike the other day, so I hope that is why I had a lot of pain today.  Miles 13.5-17 were brutal and I was trying to talk myself out of cutting the run short.  I managed to slog back to the car
and breath some life back into me with my chocolate soy milk.  Hopefully by Monday I can update you on B's YMCA Regional swim meet in Rock Hill, SC.  He swam today and preliminary data looks awesome.  Go CYAC.  Later

No comments:

Post a Comment