2.19.2011

Over Halfway

     Before I started the marathon training, I would think to myself "man its going to be a hard race" and I have no doubt that it will be, but now that I am over halfway through my training I have come to understand why the race is the fun part.  It is clearly the training that is grueling and hard.  Running day in and day out.  Slogging through the miles one day on top of the other. The race is done after a taper.  There is no taper on my weekly long runs, in fact, we run them after doing a medium tempo run of 8 miles the day before just so our legs are tired and we won't do the long run too fast.  Nothing like rubbing salt in the wound.
     Thursday was my latest long run of what was supposed to be 18 miles, well I miscalculated a bit.  It was a beautiful day.  I wish I would remember to take pics for the blog.  I got around the city and ended up coming back up 5th street when I hit 18 miles a little ways from home.  Most people would say "why would you continue to run when you have already hit 18 miles?"  After 18 miles of running, your mind is not clear, although some would say my mind is not clear to start with.  I kept up much better with nutrition, but you still get irrational and foggy.  I wanted to get home, plain and simple.  I was willing to do the extra 1.2 miles just to get home sooner.  You would have done it too.
     The goal this week is to get to the pool and get on the bike at least once because it is a recovery week running-wise (5/5/5/8/13)..  My sister did the Myrtle Beach Half Mary today and I am sure she did great.  This is her fourth half marathon and I credit her with my entry into the world of endurance sports and all it has given me.  Thanks sis!

No comments:

Post a Comment