5.04.2011

Mystery Solved


     If you read my last post, I was mesmerized by these purple boxes hanging from the trees on the outskirts of Charlottesville.  We did a ride up on the Blue Ridge Parkway the other day and lo and behold there they were hanging in th trees, more purple boxes.  So my very good friend and bike coach had the answer to this mystery.  These purple boxes are traps for Emerald Ash Borer, an invasive species.  That's all I know.  On to the bike ride.



We started here, which is just off of interstate 64 as you cross the infamous Afton Mountain.  If you have never visited the Blue Ridge Parkway or Skyline Drive I highly recommend it.  Not just for it fabulous biking, but the trails and attractions all along these roads are great for family outings.




During the week, the biking does not get any better up here.  The car traffic is at a minimum and the peace and calm are all around.  The picture above and below are pretty accurate depictions of the roads up there.  If you want to become a better biker, I cannot think of a quicker way to do it.    




The route we did turns around here and heads back to the car.  It is only about 22 miles out and back, but the  2000 ft of climbing makes it all worth it.  M got off her bike and ran a bit while I finished up my 30 miles.


Here is a view west over to the Shenandoah Valley from one of the overlooks.  If you look closely through the haze you can see West Virginia.

     So the rundown from today is eventful.  The original plan was to head back to Lake Anna and ride the Kinetic Half bike course and maybe get some open water swimming in, but the pouring rain this morning made us head to plan B.  Dropped the kids off and headed to the gym.  Hopped on the trainer with some intervals for about an hour with M.  The weather had cleared up by then (of course) and we went outside to get in a short 3 mile run up Observatory Hill and back to complete the bike-run brick.  Since we were already at the pool, we decided to suit up since they had the long course setup and put in a quick 1000m.  I was exhausted after that.  When we got home I got a second wind and felt guilty pinning the dog up all morning so I let him loose on the trails for a slow 3 miler.  In retrospect, it may have been too much 2 days before a race, but I guess that remains to be seen.  
     Hope nobody forgets Mothers day this weekend.  Being a parent for the past 10 years, I have a new appreciation for what my parents did for me when I was (and still am) growing up.  Mothers (at least in the households I have participated in) are the cornerstone of the family.  They are the glue that keeps everything together and sacrifice much for the good of the others in the family.  So for my mother and the one that I am married to, Happy Mothers Day!  You are loved and appreciated for your hard work and selfless nature.  God bless you.
       A few members from my FCA Endurance group will be racing this weekend with me at the Smith Mountain Lake Sprint Triathlon.  Our goal is to glorify God in the races that we take part in.  He gives us the strength to participate and compete, so clearly the glory is His.  We hope that others will see this and make a decision for Christ in their lives.  I am anxious to see if my body has recovered from the race 4 weeks ago, nonetheless it will be a great day.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for solving the purple box mystery! We were wondering as well.

    Sue and Joe

    ReplyDelete