5.13.2011

Do You Think About Dying?

     Have you ever sat in your car, on your couch, or just alone by yourself and thought about when you were going to die.  If you say no, you are lying.  We all think about death, but oddly enough most of us don’t think it is going to happen soon.  We contribute to our 401k’s at work.  We plan out our retirement.  We live inside of a intricate net of insurance policy’s that are woven together to build a safety net for ourselves (and I am certainly not excluding myself).  The fact of the matter is any one of us could die at any time.  I could die while you are reading this.  What then?  I have gone to church and tried to be a good person.  Is this enough for the big man upstairs?  Will he accept me for who I have been and what I have done here on earth?  Did I follow the commands that he laid out for me in the Bible?  Sure I was baptized as a kid.  I went through confirmation classes as an adolescent.  Will any of this matter?  The hard cold truth is that being a good person, or doing nice things for people will not gain you entry into heaven.  Going to church on Sundays and having coffee with the preacher is not going to help you climb the ladder to heaven.
     Jesus said I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one will come to the father except through me.  
It is imperative that we begin to confess Jesus to others so that when we stand in heaven he will confess us to God.  If we cannot do that, then it is all for not and death becomes the end.
     These are loose thoughts that I tried to piece together, but hopefully you get where I was heading.  I love the world of endurance racing, but I try to keep myself grounded in God and the way he commands that I live my life.  In that spirit, it is the eve of the Kinetic Half Triathlon.  700 people will take off in the morning starting at 7am to swim 1.2 miles, bike 56 miles, and run 13.1 miles.  I told M she will have to be the guest blogger next week with her race report.  She said that would be fine IF she finishes.  Its a tough race and she has worked very hard.  We are very proud of her and God-willing she will glorify his name on her way to a race finish.  

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Go M! I'll be there on Sunday for the Kinetic Sprint!

    Hebrews 12:1

    ReplyDelete